Spicy Carrot Burgers2015-09-27
- Servings : 8
- Prep Time : 15m
- Cook Time : 15m
- Ready In : 30m
- 4 medium carrots (250g/9oz), peeled and grated
- 2 x 400g/14oz tins of beans (2 x 240g/9oz drained weight) - any type of beans will do
- 1 large onion (150g/5 ½ oz), peeled and grated
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp curry powder, garam masala or chilli powder (choose a mild one)
- 150g/5 ½ oz fresh breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
Fry the onions and carrots in a little oil until soft.
Drain, rinse and mash the beans. Put them into a mixing bowl and mix together with the carrot, onion, spices and one of the eggs.
Put the breadcrumbs onto a plate. Break the remaining egg into a bowl and whisk it to break it up.
Shape the burger mixture into eight patties. Dip each into the egg and then cover with breadcrumbs. Fry gently in the remaining oil until crisp and golden on both sides. Alternatively you can bake them for 15-20 minutes at 200C/400F.
TIPS: The breaded burgers can be frozen – freeze them in a single layer on a tray and then pack them into a box to store. The burgers are best baked from frozen as frying from frozen may not heat them through and defrosting before frying can make them soft and liable to break up in the pan.